nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bardsey apple

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bardsey apple
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:10:02 -0800

While the story/ad sounds like hype, there are some things not mentioned that really could make the Bardsey apple unusual. First, is the old tree a seedling or was it asexually propagated? I say it that way because it wasn't that rare to layer an apple tree, or even start it from root cuttings of a seedling, in addition to the possibility of being grafted. That one tree could have been a lone survivor of a group of them.
Next is it's long term survival in a pretty trying environment, with wind, salt, and very cool, moist temperatures, even if it was sheltered by a building. Also the tests in other areas indicated it was resistant to disease.
And there may be some historical significance to where it was growing that would make it attractive to UK gardeners. The people there have an attachment to such things. I was sent photos of the original seedling Bramley apple, which is protected and marked with a plack. A number of other such apples are similarly preserved in England.
Hype? Maybe. But the circumstances suggest the Bardsey IS an unusual tree.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com