nafex - [NAFEX] Hawthorn Jelly, a bad name

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hawthorn Jelly, a bad name
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:03:41 -0600

Thanks for the suggestions to color the Hawthorn jelly but I'm rather sure the color isn't the problem. Minnesotans are very grocery store orientated and are not chance-takers. If something isn't an item they saw in a grocery store, they tend to think to themselves, "If I don't recognize the name; if I haven't had it before, it can't be good." I'd bet it would sell well in California where shoppers tend to try new food items.
Most of our best-selling jellies are not red. Originally, we thought the word "Hawthorn" would be preferable to "Thorn Apple," but perhaps not.
So far we like "Aunti May's ___________", maybe "Auntie May's Thorn Apple". Another name that caught our fancy was to use the French word, Cenelles, hence "La Gelee des Cenelles". Every(+/-) young girl thinks it fashionable to speak French and maybe a French jelly might be thought os as chic.
We are still open to suggestions though. What we'll probably do is make up a few of each label, put them on the shelf, then wait and see.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: