nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Calville blanc? Chroncel?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Calville blanc? Chroncel?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:30:35 -0800

I've had Calville Blanc. It's an oddly shaped apple, pale green to more or less white, about like a Yellow Transparent. Late, rather on the tart side, with tender flesh. Great cooking, moderate as an eating apple. Cooks to a smooth fluffy consistency. Good resistance to scab here in Oregon. I don't know about fireblight as we don't get that here worth noticing. When self pollinated it throws seedlings that have considerable similarity to the parent. The late Larry McGraw, founder of the Home Orchard Society and co-founder of NAFEX (he and Milo Gibson were both in the same area) rescued an apple by Fort Vancouver in Washington that was the oldest known apple on the west coast, having been planted by the traders when the fort was a Hudson's Bay outpost. That apple looks very much like it was a seedling of Calville Blanc.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com