nafex - Re: [NAFEX] siberian crab, royalty crab as rootstocks

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] siberian crab, royalty crab as rootstocks
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 03:14:14 -0500

Peter, dna gardens

http://www.dnagardens.com

supplies Ottawa 3 and Vineland 3 rootstocks.

Vineland 3 is reported to be prairie hardy and somewhat more dwarfing than Ottawa 3. These may be small plants from tissue culture, check.

If you have rabbit or deer issues and can't fence, dwarfing stocks may not be for you.

A couple of decades ago Columbia crab seedlings were preferred to Siberian crab seedlings on the Prairies as being more reliably compatible with scions. Columbia crab resulted from a cross between Broad Green, an old Russian apple, and Siberian crab.

More recently Ranetka crab (I think a Dolgo/Siberian cross) has found favour. If you do a search on "Malus ranetka" you will come up with a post to this list from 2000 which diacusses Malus ranetka.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Drevniok wrote:
Hi,

It's hard in Canada (my part at least) to source rootstocks. However, I have found a source for
Siberian Crab ( malus baccata) and Royalty Crab.

[1] Siberian crab - my research indicates that this rootstock is extremely hardy more so that Antonovka, - which is good because I will be planting
the clones in a zone 3 - 4 area). However, I have read that there is "compatibility" issues with this rootstock -
but no one ever says how serious this may be or what particular varieties will not work with m. baccata.
Any information on m. baccata as a roostock , especially about the compatibility issue will be appreciated.

[2] Royalty crab - how suitable is this rootock for grafting, especially for zone 3/4 planting?

Thanks,

Peter Drevniok
Gatineau, Quebec zone 5 and Wilno, Ontario zone 3/4