nafex - [NAFEX] siberian crab, royalty crab as rootstocks

  • From: Drevniok <colleendaly@videotron.ca>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] siberian crab, royalty crab as rootstocks
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:39:23 -0500

Hi,

It's hard in Canada (my part at least) to source rootstocks. However, I have found a source for
Siberian Crab ( malus baccata) and Royalty Crab.

[1] Siberian crab - my research indicates that this rootstock is extremely hardy more so that Antonovka, - which is good because I will be planting
the clones in a zone 3 - 4 area). However, I have read that there is "compatibility" issues with this rootstock -
but no one ever says how serious this may be or what particular varieties will not work with m. baccata.
Any information on m. baccata as a roostock , especially about the compatibility issue will be appreciated.

[2] Royalty crab - how suitable is this rootock for grafting, especially for zone 3/4 planting?

Thanks,

Peter Drevniok
Gatineau, Quebec zone 5 and Wilno, Ontario zone 3/4