nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting prunus (as opposed to budding)

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting prunus (as opposed to budding)
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 08:51:27 -0500

After several years of hit-and-miss prunus grafting, I have finally found a method which gives me good luck field grafting in the spring, including peaches which I find the hardest. As Lon states, the temperature is the key. What I do is look for the long-term forecast to be something around high 80 - low 60 for the upcoming week, and graft then. Also I usually do two rounds of grafting at two different such points in the spring, to increase the odds. All grafts are completely sealed with Doc Farwells to keep from drying out. I over-wrap the grafts in aluminum foil to help stabilize the temperature, so the sun will not overheat them. I get something like 80% takes on peaches, and other prunus have even better odds. I have not found that the type of graft made any difference, and I use all types depending on the stock and scion.

For the commercial grafter this is a difficult option since they need to be continually grafting over a long period. For us backyard grafters on the other hand it is not all that hard to do if you just watch the weather.

Scott