nafex - [NAFEX] Potomac

  • From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Potomac
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:38:45 -0800

Joe writes:

On paper, Potomac pear looks unbeatable.

In the ground it is OK. It has been a little slow to come into bearing,
but otherwise I have very few complaints.

One thing I noticed, and have not seen documented anywhere, is that it
tree ripens to acceptable quality. Has anybody else noticed that or are
my trees just weird...maybe it is just a one year thing? Is tree
ripening a goal that modern pear breeders are shooting for?

My reply:

I have it on OHxF 333 in great soil and it is a monstrosity. That darn think
is huge, despite having taken the central leader out on two occasions. It
would make a fair shade tree. I also am not impressed with the shape. It
grows like a &*#%$!!! Bradford pear. The only thing more vertical I have
seen is Harvest Queen. I never find quality pears quick to bear, all took
5-7 years to come into bearing. My Potomac's pears are large to huge, they
tree ripen nicely, but are very sparse. I have yet to get a harvest, more
like samples. It also has more problems with insects in general than any
other pear tree I have. In general you don't have to spray pears around
here, next year though I'll probably spray Potomac once and then evaluate it.
Teh other thing is, the bees are not that passionate about it. But then
they have lots to choose from in my yard.

fluffy

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====

  • [NAFEX] Potomac, fuwa fuwa usagi, 12/14/2007