nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hybridizing persimmons

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hybridizing persimmons
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 21:44:40 EST

In a message dated 12/12/2007 7:46:26 PM Eastern Standard Time, lonrom@hevanet.com writes:

"Mentoring" usually meant grafting the male parent on the female tree, or vice versa.

Hi Lon,

Yes, I've seen that definition more than the following once.  (Method A)

I've also read mentoring is taking dead pollen of the female species and mixing it with live pollen from the other species then mix and apply both to the female flower. The dead pollen has chemical or mechanical properties that tricks the stigma's rejection mechanisms. Thus allowing the approach live sperm to develop the pollen tube and sperm to pass to the egg.  (Method B)

Who knows maybe he used B on A material!!!

Jerry

See AOL's top rated recipes (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)