nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fuyu persimmons

  • From: "S & E Hills" <ehills7408@wowway.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fuyu persimmons
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 08:51:16 -0500

I’m in 6b and I planted a Ichi Ke Kei Jiro two years ago (this will be its third winter).   I planted it in my front yard, in a place with pretty compacted soil and it has to contend with a large silver maple’s roots drawing in as much water as they can.  I do water during the growing season and it has grown and does appear healthy.  It has not, however, grown as much as I would like and after the first winter there was a little die back (tips that were above the tubex growth tube I had it in that winter.  Last winter there was no die-back at all.  I’ve not yet had any flowering so no fruit.  I will be adding drip irrigation and pulling back the mulch to apply composted manure this spring, I’m hoping that will encourage more vigorous growth (though the variety I chose is reportedly a dwarf variety anyway).

Burnt Ridge Nursery (which I can recommend as I’ve ordered from there every year for the past 5) offers a variety they claim is hardy to zone 5 (I think it was there), though I got mine from Edible Landscaping.  I believe that England’s Nursery also offered a variety they claimed was hardy as well.

Scott Hills

6b Saint Clair Shores, Michigan