nafex - [NAFEX] infused brandy

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] infused brandy
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:50:35 -0500

Hi Guys;

I have never tried the pouring of Brandy over fruit, but being an amateur winemaker, I have an idea what may happen. A lot of things must be considered. The strength of the fruit flavor, the amount of fruit required, how much surface area of the fruit is needed to contact the Brandy, how long does it need to soak, is it going to 'cloud' the brandy, will the fruit oxidize and discolor the whole. When I think of Calvados or Grappa, those are distilled from the actual fruit. But, don't despair too much... There are some ways.....

    Buy small bottles of 'Brandy/Wine Flavoring' from a winemaking shop on line, of which there are a hundred or more. OR.. soak some fruit in brandy, on a very small scale such as 4 ounces of brandy at a time. If it clouds up, oh well. I'm not sure any fining agents will work in brandy. If I had to do this, I would use a Citrus Peel as it is loaded with oils. Stay far away from the white crap in citrus peel. It is bitter and full of pectin.

One final attempt would be using dried Elderberries. These will color your booze Purple, and give it a rich aroma.

Good Luck Mangoperson !!

Murph