nafex - [NAFEX] Making berry decoys

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Making berry decoys
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 09:09:09 -0600

Bill Garthright said: "I'd like to see a picture of the fake cherries sometime, though. I'm not
sure exactly how it is done, how closely they must resemble a real cherry."

Bill,
I use red beads that are imported by Darice, Inc. Faceted seems to work as good as unfaceted. The smooth ones are available up to 1/2" but faceted up to 3/4".
I use dead soft aluminum wire, .050 or less in diameter, cutting each piece about 2-1/2" long. With a needle-nosed pliers, I bend a tiny loop and bend it a 90 degrees so the bead will hang on the wire. At the top, I bend another 90 to the horizontal, then another 90 to the vertical, then a cane top like hook where it is to hang on the branch.
Another way to do it is to heat wood-screw hooks with a torch and melt them into the bead. While this method is faster to fabricate, the hooks don't give and will grow into the tree branches and need to be moved to smaller ones.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(877)265-6856 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] Making berry decoys, Jim Fruth, 12/03/2007