nafex - Re: [NAFEX] decoy crops

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] decoy crops
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 20:54:41 EST

In a message dated 12/2/2007 11:02:52 AM Eastern Standard Time, alandhaigh@gmail.com writes:

I have planted Illinois Everbearing mulberries in several sites over the years as much for the fruit as for a wildlife distraction.  It hasn't been much help for cherries, it couldn't be, because the cherry varieties I manage fruit earlier.

I have a large sweet cherry next to my Illinois Everbearing. My problem is it doesn't produce enough fruit to feed them all therefore they go to the sweet cherry. About two weeks later a Morus negra mulberry tree about 100 feet starts ripening which bears large amounts of fruit. Then the birds are attracted away, but not 100%. I purchased the bird scare that mimics birds in distress, that works quite well.

Also seemed to keep deer out of the sweet corn. At least didn't lose a single ear to deer when I placed the scare there. Later in the corn season I placed an electric fence around the corn also.

Jerry 5b

Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.