nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear on Seedling Apples

  • From: "K Q" <kumquat@operamail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear on Seedling Apples
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 17:58:49 -0800

These apple seedlings just came up in the garden. I sheet compost.
Translation: kitchen waste is slung into the garden area willy nilly, never
buried. Not all fruit seeds sprout, but there are more apple whips, plum
whips, and quinces also, than I can deal with. I thought it would be
interesting to put some pear varieties on apple stocks. I have heard that
certain pears can bridge apple and pear, but not sure whether they are
talking proximal to apple (pear being the stock) or distal to apple (pear
being the scion).

I have a few OldHome x Farmingdale 513 treelets that need to be grafted.
Would something with Old Home in it be compatible as a bridge between apple
and pear? Wishful thinking perhaps?

Thanks Mr. Pittman, I will look into those apples for a bridge.

Kenneth Q.

Re: [NAFEX] Pear on Seedling Apples