nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear on Seedling Apples

  • From: "Lucky.PIttman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.PIttman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear on Seedling Apples
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 17:05:25 -0600

------- Original Message -------
>From : K Q[mailto:kumquat@operamail.com]
Sent : 11/25/2007 4:43:56 PM
To : nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Cc :

Does anyone know how best to convert yearling apple
seedlings into rootstock for pears? I must have a
hundred of them.

Keith,
Best bet - and I don't know for how many years it'll
hold - is to graft in an interstem of 'Winter Banana'
or 'Superclone' apple between the seedling rootstock
and your pear scion.
WB is reputed to be graft-compatible with a number of
pear varieties, and supposedly forms long-lived unions.

I had a couple of pears that survived 2-5 years on
seedling apple rootstocks (in a bundle of 10,
purchased as P.communis seedlings, 8 were apple. I
didn't make the connection until I had multiple graft
failures and the rootstocks leafed out - apple.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville KY+