nafex - Re: [NAFEX] artificial pollenation

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] artificial pollenation
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 15:41:01 -0600

Bees are not really a possibility because I must spray (not allowed if you have bees) and I have kids.

You might try solitary bees, like orchard mason bees:

http://www.knoxcellars.com/

They are very easy to keep, and they don't sting. Plus, they're supposed to be especially good for early-blooming fruit trees. You must still avoid spraying while a tree is actually blooming, of course, but that would be a relatively short period of time.

I don't know anything about hand pollinating, but it seems like it would be a heck of a lot of work.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind. - Gandhi