nafex - [NAFEX] artificial pollenation

  • From: Jerrydana5@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] artificial pollenation
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 15:34:58 EST

I have been checking my apple trees and it looks like I have good blossom buds for next spring. Last spring was a disaster with the early warm spell followed by a cold snap.  My brother-in-law got excellent results having some bee hives planted on his property--they really increased pollenation and consequent production.  Has anyone done any experimenting with taking a blossom off one tree and brushing the blossoms of another tree?  My  various trees bloom at the right times for cross pollenation, but I'd sure like to see if I can increase it some.  Bees are not really a possibility because I must spray (not allowed if you have bees) and I have kids.

Is this something that works?  I have about 20 trees, so the job is not overwhelming. Jerry in southern Indiana.