nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT parsnips

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT parsnips
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 07:23:09 -0600

We grow parsnips in our heavy clay, and they do fine. Supposedly hitting rocks or gravelly bits can turn the roots, but you can't find a rock to throw at a dog in our garden. Is there a hardpan or a change in texture in the soil in your garden? Do you plow or till it just to a certain depth every year? The mass of roots is odd too, ours never do much splitting, much less looking like Medusa. They do say to use only compost or old manure on parsnips and carrots. Hope this helps. Donna