nafex - [NAFEX] Basic Frost Protection Questions

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Basic Frost Protection Questions
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:59:16 -0800

I hope you all will excuse the bonehead questions about frost protection. I'm a born and bred coastal Californian and have rarely had to deal with these things before. January 2007 was devastating to my garden. I lost a number of standard citrus trees, among other things. So I gritted my teeth and apologized to my yelping wallet and parted with $150 to buy a huge roll of Agribon cloth. However, I'm given to understand it's better not to have the frost cloth touching the plants. So I'm assuming I'm going to have to build (or have built, since I'm disabled...ai! more money...) "cages" around the trees so that the cloth can be built around the cages.

We had our first frost last night. The temp was 43 at 11pm so I didn't expect it. The potatoes and other tender annuals show some damage. Is just tossing a length of frost cloth over them the way to go? Or do those need frames, too? Since we generally have periods of weeks between frosts, should I be constructing something that will allow me to easily lift the frost cloth to provide light in-between times? Any tips for a complete newbie to gardening around a frost would be greatly appreciated.

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA 9b