nafex - [NAFEX] Winter trees in pots

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Winter trees in pots
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:08:18 -0500

Those roots can be killed from temperatures not much lower than freezing, I'm sure another member can be more specific about the exact temperature range of that rootstock but I'm sure your winter is much too cold for its survival unprotected..  The ground is a great insulator and roots haven't developed the same hardening off strategies as the trunk and branches where the cells limit their concentration of water to prevent rupturing and death in extreme weather.  Actually I should probably leave that part of the explanation to one of the professional academics on our list.

Insulated bottomless pots topped with an airy mulch are the best way to get around this problem so the heat from the ground can modify extremes in the pot.  You could cut back the roots every spring to keep the roots from getting to far out of the pots.  If the pots are off the ground the insulation will probably be inadequate and heating coils would be necessary.