nafex - [NAFEX] woodchips

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] woodchips
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:08:41 -0500

The only problem I've ever had with fresh chips was in the vegetable garden and others have expressed the same thing.  I've never heard of Tulip containing any alleopathic substances but research is far from complete on this subject and I doubt it will be any time soon.  The danger of fresh isn't acidification but some trees do carry chemicals designed to quell the competition.  These chemicals have generally been shown to break down in a few months.  Eucalyptus, black walnut and redwood are on my mental list of being in this category though I've only seen research on the juglans species.  I am suspicious of our native cherries from anecdotal observation.

I prefer aged chips because they look and sometimes smell better but I use what's available and hopefully free.  I never understood the big concern about N deprivation anyway, it's a very mobile nutrient- my urine is free and urea is inexpensive in this context.  Mulch will do more for an establishing tree than anything I can think of and helps duplicate the conditions of forest soil where the trees mulch themselves.

  • [NAFEX] woodchips, Alan Haigh, 11/14/2007