nafex - [NAFEX] Apple Flavorings

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple Flavorings
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:33:09 -0800 (PST)

I watched the discussion about Red Delicious and had a similar experience.  When I first encountered Red Delicious, I thought they tasted OK, but over time became increasingly disappointed.  I stopped buying them.

While not discussed here, I also experienced much the same with Golden or Yellow Delicious which seem to be interchangable terms.

I grew up with a golden/yellow apple which I believe was Grimes Golden, and it seems to me that this was the apple marketed as golden/yellow delicious during the early years.  Over time the marketed apple has shown softer texture, less russetting and thinner skin - and the taste has disappeared with the changes.

Today at Sam's Club I saw that Mott's is marketing dried spiced hot cider mix with real juice content.  They are selling 4 different flavors, Original, and, you guessed it, Red Delicous and Golden Delicious, and Granny Smith.

I guess they are finding a use for those Red and Golden Delicious apples that we are no longer buying.

  • [NAFEX] Apple Flavorings, John S, 11/12/2007