nafex - [NAFEX] the invading wineberry

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] the invading wineberry
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 17:56:33 -0500

     Thanks for the headsup on wineberry.  In this region the invasion is complete, I think, and they'll be no turning back.  I wonder how it's decided that a plant has passed the threshold into the category of invasive.  Kudzu is obvious as is barberry and multiflora rose.  Wineberry, as it grows here is not all that dominant and where I see it growing it does not create any kind of monopoly the way barberry dominates the understory or multiflora dominates a field.
     When I see squirrels climbing all over wineberry plants, hungirly devoring thier fruit I doubt they feel the plant is excessively invasive, but what do they know?  OK, I'm kidding, but given the extreme imbalance created by what I consider the over-the-top expansion of human population I think maybe this species could look at it's own dominance of the land as the only truly signifcant invasion of wilderness on this planet.  What ever you do be very careful where you plant humans!