nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Acorns

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Acorns
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:41:59 -0500

At 04:25 PM 10/31/2007, you wrote:
My question is: I found this tree that produces such large nuts
(compared to other white oaks in my area). Our oaks appear to freely
hybridize, so I doubt of I can rely on planting acorns and getting lucky
(plus I am no spring chicken).
Can I vegetatively propagate this mature oak tree and plant a nice
legacy tree for future generations who may enjoy my homestead?

Yes, members of the white oak group are almost as easy to graft as apples/pears, and in my experience, just about any seedling in the group is suitable as roostock. I use bur oak seedlings, mainly 'cause that's what I have the most of.
I collect scionwood in late Feb/early Mar., and store in the refrigerator in a ziploc, with the scions wrapped in damp(not wet) newsprint.
Timing of grafting is fairly important - best time to do the graft is just as the rootstocks are beginning to push leaves.
I do a simple bark graft - behead the rootstock and make a 2-3 inch vertical slit in the bark, running downward from the top of the beheaded rootstock; gently lift the edges of the slit. Make a long, sloping cut in the basal portion of your scion, just as you would if you were doing a simple whip/splice graft; then, shave just a little bark off the sides of the scion to expose a little more cambium and slide the basal end of your scion down into the slit in the rootstock. Wrap with budding rubbers and overwrap with Parafilm, or your choice of grafting sealants.

Here's my buddy Joe's bark grafting tutorial: http://citrus.forumup.org/about500-citrus.html
Nice, step-by-step photos of how I do it - and I use this same general technique for everything from pears to persimmons to hickories.

Lucky

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**