nafex - [NAFEX] Acorns

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Acorns
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:25:12 -0400

I have to report that I am very happy that I read the earlier
discussions about using white oak acorns.

I found a local white oak that produces very large nuts. I followed the
procedures for removing the tannins, then lightly roasted the meal. I
used the meal in a quick bead (1 part acorn meal, 1.5 part flour). Very
delicious! The acorns were easy to crack and process. Aside from the
tannin removal, they were much less work than the local hickories and
black walnuts.

My question is: I found this tree that produces such large nuts
(compared to other white oaks in my area). Our oaks appear to freely
hybridize, so I doubt of I can rely on planting acorns and getting lucky
(plus I am no spring chicken).
Can I vegetatively propagate this mature oak tree and plant a nice
legacy tree for future generations who may enjoy my homestead?

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC