nafex - [NAFEX] book question

  • From: Jerrydana5@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] book question
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:01:01 EDT

My 91 year old dad recently gave me a book his father gave him, which probably his father gave him, about growing fruit. I wonder if anybody has heard of it.  It's titled The Fruits and Fruit trees of America or The culture, propagation, and management, in the garden and the orchard, of fruit trees generally, by A.J. Downing.  It does not say who the publisher is (!) but it was published in  New York in 1852.  The book is dedicated to Marshall P. Wilder, Esq,, the president of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society.    It's pretty interesting to read about apples (the main fruit I'm interested in).  There are many strange names I've never heard of.  There are many missing cultivars, like Red and Yellow Delicious, which were not around yet!
Has anybody heard of this book?    Jerry in southern Indiana