nafex - [NAFEX] Major fruits v/s ALL edible fruits.

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch_mnd@dataone.in>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Major fruits v/s ALL edible fruits.
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:30:07 +0530

Dear NAFEXers,

As it has been emerging from the discussion, there might be 4000 or more edible fruits in the world.  But I think that in every region/country, total quantity of fruits consumed by man in human diet does not exceed 15 or may be 20 fruits.  The rest, whether tasty or less tasty, are consumed in very little quantity.  Some are not even collected 100 per cent from wild.  There is a fruit, KAPHAL, found in my area.  It is very popularly eaten but still not a single tree of this fruit has been planted in any orchard.

In  India, 40 per cent of the total area under fruits is under mango only.  And even under mango too, 70 per cent is under two varieties viz. Dusseri in North and Alphonso in South.  Then we have banana, oranges, guava, apple and 5-6 other fruits occupying over 95 per cent of total area under fruits.  These are the fruits receiving the attention of horticultural researchers for varietal improvement and development of better cultivation techniques.The rest are minor and neglected.

I think the same situation exists in all parts of the world.

I am interested in drawing the list of these MAJOR or ELITE or COMMERCIALLY IMPORTANT fruits to exclude them from the list of TOTAL fruits so as to have a list minor, lesser known, underexploited, unexploited kind of fruits.

I shall be grateful if LEARNED listmembers from various parts of the world could write me the name of such fruits.

Let it be their own opinion.

Thanks in advance.

  • [NAFEX] Major fruits v/s ALL edible fruits., Dr. Chiranjit Parmar, 10/29/2007