nafex - [NAFEX] A true "second spring"!

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] A true "second spring"!
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:05:34 -0700

Fall is known to many SF Bay Area gardeners as "second spring" because there are many crops you can plant now due to our mild winters. We've had a bizarre year (record frosts in January, heat waves at times they're least expected and October this year is NOT our hottest month as it usually is). A number of my fruit trees started blooming again. That was bizarre enough for me although I'm given to understand from more experienced gardeners that it's not entirely freakish for that to happen. The assumption was that no fruit would set because our winter rains would start in before that could happen. That may still be the case with the peaches and plums that have blossomed. However, my Morus alba "Pakistan" has gone one further. From sticks it leafed out, blossomed, and this morning I can see that there are some nice dark-colored mulberries on the high branches. Amazing! Wish my Morus nigra had decided to do that...

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA Zone 9b

  • [NAFEX] A true "second spring"!, Spidra Webster, 10/25/2007