nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple tree porpagation seed

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple tree porpagation seed
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 16:42:08 +0000

Growing apple seedlings IS fun. You'll see different ranges of variability,
including in how much stratification is required. I've seen seeds sprouted
inside apples which were chilled for a few weeks then brought into room
temperature. But mostly I put harvested, rinsed seeds in damp peatmoss or
something similar, then chill til early spring. Planting them into trays
sooner than I think is right allows the seeds to choose what temperature
(cooler or warmer) they want for germination. Biggest problem has been
mice-- white-footed field mice, I believe, but meadow voles possible-- want
to eat the new sprouts.

I think I have a list somewhere of which apple cultivars are said to be more
likely to grow offspring more like the mother, but don't know when I'd find
it!