nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Q on crabapple

  • From: "David Doud" <doudone@netusa1.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Q on crabapple
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:44:25 -0400

Title: My VistaPrint Electronic Business Card
There was/is a variety called 'Hibernal Crab' that sounds like what you describe - it was commonly (OK, occasionally) used as a rootstock - I think it was suppose to be hardy -

large leaved and rather dense as a tree is how I recall it - clusters of large green fruit that most people would consider unedible -

this harkens back to discussions I've had on this listserve and elsewhere asking 'What is a crabapple? - some people say any small apple is a crabapple - others say that varieties that are astringent enough can be considered crabapples -

if a bonafide horticultural authority has ruled, I haven't seen it -