nafex - [NAFEX] Poison Ivy Article

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Poison Ivy Article
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:23:20 -0500

Tanis,
There is one important subject left out of your article, a subject that could, perhaps, become a fifth section. This section would deal with the degradation of urushiol over time.
I do alot of wild berry picking for Brambleberry Farm and I frequently wade through or stand among Poison Ivy Plants to do so. There is a place where I pick Highbush Cranberries that the Poison Ivy is waist high. So then comes the question, "How long do I have to wait until I dare remove a pebble from my shoe?" It has been my experience that if I wait two or more hours, I can safely remove my shoes or wipe burrs off my pants without getting the rash.
Then if we compare the possibility of getting a urushiol rash from my shoes or clothes to getting the rash from pets. Pets have oils in their fur that might(???) extend the life of urushiol as compared to my oil-less clothes. Can a cat carry 'live' urushiol longer than my clothes can? I think this is a subject worth investigating. Does anyone need to do a thesis paper?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: