nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Beekeeping

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Beekeeping
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:24:00 -0500

I suggest a book called "A book of Bees" by Sue Hubbell. It addresses the problems of early post-mite era beekeeping. She kept or is keeping bees in Southeastern Missouri which should not be too far from you. So, her information should be very pertinent for your area. You can purchase a used copy fairly cheap on Amazon.
The screened bottom boards really help promote healthy bees for several reasons including ventilation. They have been well researched and have always been considered worthwhile but they have to be closed up during wintertime in northern climates. Most people in Southern Climates leave them open year-round. The smaller cell (#2) is still not well proven and there is some controversy. And there really are bees that are more hygienic, thus making them if not immune, bees that have less problems with mites and diseases. The USDA bee research station in Louisiana breed some of the first honey bees that are considered hygienic. The Russian strain of honey bees is also considered less susceptible to mites but they produce a little less honey. But do not forget the diseases of bees, like foulbrood (American and European), hygienic bees are helpful there too. Take a look at: http://www.beeweaver.com/home.php?cat=1 that's from B. Weaver aviaries in Texas.

I know that this is somewhat off the subject of fruit. But I felt that I had to acquire honeybees not too long ago because there did not seem to be enough natural pollinators for my fruit orchard. I really did not get them for the honey (a nice byproduct, though) but for the pollination. In early spring when many fruit trees are blooming some of the natural pollinators have not bred up to sufficient quantities (such as bumble bees) to do much good. Our wild honeybees were declining in my area, I believe, probably due to the mites that are killing off domesticated as well as wild honeybees. Pollinators are very important to fruit production. So maybe this is not too far off-topic. Even fruit trees that are considered self-fruitful benefit from some cross pollination, most times resulting in heavier fruit set.

Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard
www.oakcreekorchard.com