nafex - [NAFEX] Beekeeping

  • From: "Shirley Murphy" <samurphy@isp.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Beekeeping
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:42:27 -0500

Ross / Don
I, too, am planning to start one or two hives in the spring.  There is a lot of information on the web but it is always good to hear from others who have experience.
In theory, there are a number of "natural" measures that can be taken to avoid the health problems in the hive.  I would sure like to know if anyone reading this has tried any of these practices:
1.  screen bottom board allows mites to fall through
2.  smaller cells - closer to what would be found in nature.
3.  Immune bees.
Has anyone had any good or bad experience with suppliers of bees and/or equipment and supplies?
This may be getting too far off track of fruits.  If so, please pass on any information offlist.
It does seem there could be enough interest to have an interest group.
Shirley
SW Tennessee