nafex - [NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing fruit

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing fruit
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 12:10:58 -0500

Betsy Hilborn asked: "Everyone talks about how heavily this tree bears fruit, however I have
had a different experience. I purchased an Illinois Everbearing from Stark Brothers in spring 2003.
The tree now has a trunk of about 5" diameter; I have summer pruned it
to keep it as a 12' wide, 10' tall heavily branched bushy tree. During
June- August , I find 3-5 ripe fruits on it per week. I do not consider this heavy bearing, although I assume that I must lose
some whole fruits to birds. What do people mean by fruiting heavily. Is my experience typical?"

Betsy,
My Illinois Everbearing bear fruit at every leaf axil. The fruit goes from green to red to black often in less than two days. I have assumed that red was ripe and black was overripe (Black has the most/best flavor). A gentle breeze will knock of the black fruits and a stronger wind will knock off the red ones. Alot more fruit falls on the ground than what amount the birds eat. If I don't harvest fruit every day,or oftener, I don't get much. We planted the trees to make jelly so I'm planning something similar to an upside-down umbrella made of veil netting or shade cloth to catch the fruit before the mice get it.

Now for questions: All of my Mulberry fruit is seedless which is, I'm assuming, the reason it falls off so readily. Does seeded Mulberry fruit hang on longer? My Mulberry fruits measure about 1/4"x 1". Is seeded Mulberry larger?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: