nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Questions for Bill

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Questions for Bill
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:33:16 -0500

It seems odd to me to hear of anyone actually planting mulberry trees. Here they are a weed and come up everywhere. If you want some, come and dig them up.

You're politer than most people I know when they hear I've planted mulberry trees! Heh, heh. Yeah, they grow like weeds here, too, but until they start bearing fruit, you never know what they'll taste like. I'd be happy with any good-tasting mulberry, but many of the volunteer trees just don't have good berries (also, some of them are real small). And I don't know how you tell that while the trees are still small enough to transplant.

I just want enough mulberries to eat,... and perhaps to lure wildlife away from some of my other fruit (though I'm not really counting on that).

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
It really comes down to parsimony, economy of explanation. It is possible that your car engine is driven by psychokinetic energy, but if it looks like a petrol engine, smells like a petrol engine and performs exactly as well as a petrol engine, the sensible working hypothesis is that it is a petrol engine. - Richard Dawkins