nafex - [NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing in zone 3

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing in zone 3
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:19:48 -0500

mIEKAL asked:

"Is Illinois Everbearing hardy for you & have you gotten fruit?"

I have alot of zone 4 - 5 plants here in USDA zone 3, supposedly now zone 4. My Mulberries have only withstood -30 so far with no damage. I have seen -45 here 15 years ago and expect it again, so I'll, eventually, learn just how much cold they can handle. Yes, I do get fruit. I planted Illinois Everbearing and Morus alba. Once the trees started fruiting, I wished I had planted all Illinois Everbearing because the fruit is 5 times larger and it tastes better than M. alba. All of my Mulberries are female so parthenogenesis is the norm.
Alot of the problem with survival here in Northcentral Minnesota is due to the wintertime's drying wind. Humidity drops really low here during Winter and plants that might normally handle the cold die because the wind leeches their moisture. I have a micro-climate here as my garden and orchard are surrounded by Pine trees. The tops of the trees can be swaying wildly with only gentle gusts near the ground.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(877)265-6856 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing in zone 3, Jim Fruth, 10/03/2007