nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry emergency surgery

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry emergency surgery
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 13:36:36 -0400 (EDT)

If it was my tree I would

1. brace the big branch and bind the split to keep it from getting bigger.
Make sure the tree is well fertilized and watered from for the next few
years.

2. wait till the tree sheds its leaves and goes dormant.

3. possibly take some cuttings and try to root them - I don't know whetehr
this will work with mulberry.

4. cut the trunk below the split at a slight angle, and seal the surface.

5. expect some sprouts next year, select one and nurture it carefully.
This is taking a chance but I think it might be better than trying to work
around a split trunk

I am assuming that that split is at the lowest branch. If you have a
branch below the split I might try to work with that, depending on its
location and shape.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada