nafex - Re: [NAFEX] How to tell when pears are ripe?

  • From: "Erdman, James" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] How to tell when pears are ripe?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:28:58 -0500

As it happens, our bearing pear is a Nova, and we are also (supposedly) in
zone 4. I have been using the guidelines posted by someone a couple of years
ago to this list--I think it may have been Ed Fackler. If I remember right,
he suggested picking when the pear started to slightly soften at the end near
the stem--this is something you need to experience by feeling a few pears
every day, and noticing the slight difference when your thumb starts to feel
a little "give" to the flesh of the pear. The skin starts to have a slight
yellow to the background color of green, and the little spots or dots start
to lighten up. Then, leave them at room temp after picking and they will
finish ripening in a few days. Or you can refrigerate them and take them out
when you want to ripen them. We picked our Nova pears about a month ago, and
are eating the last few that we had put in the refrigerator soon after
picking. I think that I could have stored some longer if I had picked them a
bit sooner and immediately refrigerated them. We have been eating fruit from
our Novas for about 5 years, I think, and really like them. Better than any
pear I have ever gotten at the store (but isn't that why we grow our own
fruit?)

Jim, in Menomonie, WI, an hour east of St Paul, Minn