nafex - Re: [NAFEX] How to tell when pears are ripe?

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] How to tell when pears are ripe?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:16:41 -0500

Eric,

One other tip I read about in the Backyard Gardener. Stella says the
duration from bloom time to ripening is very consistent with tree fruits.
In other words, days to maturity are very consistent regardless of the
weather. I've yet to really test it, but I've been recording bloom times
and maturity for what little I've harvested for the last few years. If it
proves out, it'll be a good tool for a novice like me.

Mark

P.S. So far I've always picked the pears too early.