nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Raspberry Crown Borer

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Raspberry Crown Borer
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:12:38 -0500

Thanks Jim,

I remember you've had problems with raspberry borers and have posted some
information about them, but I couldn't remember what you'd said. Did you
have a problem with Raspberry Cane borer, or Raspberry crown borer? As I
understand it, the Cane borer beetle chews a couple rings around the canes
(a few inches apart) and lays it's eggs in between the rings. I'm having
problem with the crown borer, which is a moth that looks remarkably like a
yellow jacket. It's larva are supposed to be the most pernicious of all the
bramble borers, eating the crowns and roots of the plants. Do you have any
experience with the Crown borer? If so, how do you look for damage? I had
a few canes fall over and wilt this summer and wondered what happened (at
the time I thought maybe an animal knocked them over). Now I realize it was
probably borers tunneling just below the surface weakening the crown. I've
also had problems with the Red-necked cane borer that produces swelling
galls on the canes. These seem fairly easy to identify and I've cut out
several infected canes. I suppose I have all these borer problems because
there are other bramble patches around, or maybe some of the borers were
shipped in on the stock I planted. So far the Crown borers are harder to
deal with because I don't know what to look for (unless I just wait for the
canes to fall over dead). Any thoughts?

Mark
Kansas