nafex - [NAFEX] Fig Overwintering

  • From: "Martha L. Davis" <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fig Overwintering
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:46:22 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Del,

I'm in high elevation new Mexico there are not enough heat units to ripen my
figs outside in the fall. I just brought mine in as the nights were forcast
to possibly get into the 30ies later in the week. Last year just after my
fig had droped all it's leaves (indoors in January) I was ready to put it in
a cool place for a dormant period. Before I did I noticed new buds and just
kept it at room temperature like a house plant and it was fine and produced
fruit this year. I have also noticed that it is very responsive to
fertilizer and the type of fertilizer. It needs high trace mineral fertilizer
to avoid mineral definiancy leaf syptoms. I get more fruit set with higher
phosphorus and more leaves with more nitrogen. The phosphorus nitrogen thing
is true of most plants but with my fig it seems supersensitive though that
may be just because it is potted.

Martha Davis

  • [NAFEX] Fig Overwintering, Martha L. Davis, 09/11/2007