nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian Pear ultra low brix

  • From: Doug Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian Pear ultra low brix
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:53:55 -0400

During the growing season if a cut is made into infected wood, the fireblight will be transmitted on the pruning tool. Disinfection is a pain, and with bleach can be rough on the tool if done often. I understand that if the pruning is done in the dormant season, the infection is not transmitted, but I'm not sure I know all the ins and outs of this.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Spidra Webster wrote:
My neighbor has an Asian pear and has been giving me some of his harvest. I'm not wild about pears in general, but like European pears better than Asian. Most people like European pears far riper and sweeter than I do. I actually like them crisp. But these Asian pears are the lowest sugar pears I've ever eaten. It's more like eating vegetables. I don't know whether that's because he's harvesting them too early (the tree has fireblight and I alerted him to that so he's been pruning things) or what.

I'm pretty broke right now due to having taken a month off for surgery and recovery so I can't turn my nose up at free food. Does anyone have any serving ideas for making these pears more pleasurable? Lemon and brown sugar?

Spidra Webster

Zone 9b Berkeley, CA