nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Yuzu?

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Yuzu?
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 22:53:55 -0500

Never buy any citrus from outside citrus growing areas unless the catalog or someone in the company tells you it's grafted and what it's grafted on. Otherwise you could get a seedling tree. And in Oregon, where this worldplants website is, they could be grafting from a seedling tree, which is almost as bad. Northern nurseries just don't understand about citrus. Sherwood Akin sells rooted cuttings, which are somewhat slower to produce, but if they get killed to the ground, you won't lose your scion. It's a good compromise, much better than seedlings.
I remember a Pomona article showing a nurse root graft I quite liked the look off. The guy would take about 6" of citrus root and make a split in the middle. He'd slice both sides of his scion, slide it perpendicular into the split, and I don't remember how he fastened it, but cotton string was traditional in the old days of apple root grafting. Once the graft has taken, the union will be below ground and safe from freezing weather. Donna