nafex - [NAFEX] Unusual blackberry trait?

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Unusual blackberry trait?
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 06:48:57 -0500

    While I was picking my crop of Fort Kent Blackberries the bees were abuzz.  I wondered why but didn't pay attention as my attention was spent on berry picking.  I just assumed they were Yellow Jackets sucking on the fruit.  Yesterday I learned the object of their attention; they had been pollinating flowers.  While I was picking the last straggler berries I noticed developing green berries.  Fort Kent is producing a second crop.
    This second crop is going to be significantly less than the first crop and I hope the berries ripen before the frosts come.  Has anyone else had a second crop of berries?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(877)265-6856 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] Unusual blackberry trait?, Jim Fruth, 08/31/2007