nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Eutypa management in apricot

  • From: Doug Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Eutypa management in apricot
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:09:01 -0400

I can't speak to treatment of infected trees, but regarding prevention I recall reading years ago that "dieback" (I don't know if the responsible organism was the same)
was a serious problem with apricots in many areas of England and the solution was to prune the trees only during the time of rapid growth at the beginning of the season, I think just when the leaves were coming to full size or shortly after. Dormant pruning was fatal as it allowed the cuts to become infected.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

David Oliver wrote:
I'd appreciate learning any experience apricot growers have with management of Eutypa (/Eutypa lata)/ dieback. If a tree becomes infected, is destruction the only recourse? Have any growers successfully eliminated the pathogen from a tree that has become infected?

David Oliver