nafex - [NAFEX] Location and squirrel protection

  • From: Ray Kaminski <rjkaminski@charter.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Location and squirrel protection
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:38:48 -0500

Sam you asked where I am located. 40 miles north east of Green Bay in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. zone was 4 and now changed to 5. Lowest temp this past winter was 16 below here. With the cold wind blowing from Lake Michigan we have a delayed spring and so we missed the frost. The frost was here but the trees were not sprouted enough to get hurt.

On a different subject:
I have a couple of peach trees and the crop started out great. One tree is Red Haven and the other is Haley Haven. Both had set a nice crop and I thinned the Red Haven down to maybe 150 peaches that were left. First we got a big time hail storm that damaged a lot of the fruit and I was not paying too much attention to the trees and one day I checked and what a surprise. There was two peaches left on the Red Haven. I knew I was robbed by squirrels as I feed all wild life in the back yard and often would count up to 8 squirrels. I quickly wrapped a layer of tin foil around the trunk of the Haley Haven as they had not robbed that one although I saw a squirrel in the tree while I was gathering my supplies. He grabbed a peach and left into the pine trees behind to the back. I wrapped the trunk and secured the foil around the tree with masking tape. Then I painted the entire foil with the sticky stuff called tangle foot. Although squirrels have a vertical leap of 4 feet they did not jump into the tree and I saw a squirrel go up to the tin foil and then back off. To this day my crop has not been bothered and is just starting to ripen and about another week I should be picking them from the tree. I have had good crops from these trees every year since I planted them in 1999. The Red Haven is a freestone and gets larger fruit on it than the Haley Haven which is not freestone. It's branches are bending badly as I did not thin it this spring. What a beautiful picture that makes. Both freeze and taste.nice for winter eating. I think the Red haven also has a better sweeter taste. Will not know it this year however.

  • [NAFEX] Location and squirrel protection, Ray Kaminski, 08/24/2007