nafex - Re: [NAFEX] You Think You Got Pest Problems? OFF-TOPIC

  • From: Amlie & Hayas <tamlie@netscape.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] You Think You Got Pest Problems? OFF-TOPIC
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:56:31 -0400

Apologies for hurtling further off-topic with this, but this has been bugging me.....

Someone wrote:
"The most effective tool to address the various negative impacts of
competition driving production costs down to the lowest common denominator
is regulation and enforcement. .......
ultimately voluntary programs are not sufficient because low price outweighs
consumer concerns--one physically can't educate one's self about even a
fraction of the environmental and moral aspects of one's purchases. And some
(read most) consumers want the lowest possible price even knowing the issues
involved because they don't believe that their own behavior makes any
difference.

I prefer to make my OWN choices, thank you very much. The last thing in the world I want is someone else, much less a petty government bureaucrat or idealogue, making my moral and economic choices for me, or limiting my choices. I can't think of a single person on this planet to whom I would delegate the authority to make moral and economic decisions on my behalf. When I was a little boy my mother and father guided me in making my decisions. Now, as an adult, I do it myself and live with the consequences.

I too have many ideas and standards which I think everyone else should follow. The world would be wonderful if everyone did what I said. I'm not about to suggest that other people be forced to follow those ideas.

Tom Amlie