nafex - [NAFEX] apple woes

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] apple woes
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:51:09 -0400

After nurturing some grafts (on a random wild crab in less-than-full- sun) for 6 years I finally got a few apples this year. I bagged them, and they were doing well. Then I went on vacation for 2 weeks.

I returned to find the bags on the ground with large holes ripped in them - obviously something chewed through the bags to get at the apples. I still have two apples on a different tree in the front yard.

I have pretty much every wild mammal that lives in Massachusetts: raccoons, woodchucks, red and gray squirrels, skunks, deer, foxes, coyotes, opossums, and lots of little rodents (mice, voles, etc.)

1) Any idea who's the most likely suspect?
2) Any idea how to discourage her in the future?

thanks,
Ginda Fisher