nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Low Sugar Jams/Jellies

  • From: "K Q" <kumquat@operamail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Low Sugar Jams/Jellies
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 07:54:31 -0800

James,

Not sure what type of fruit you are trying to gel, but it could be that
whatever you are using is turning free calcium into bound calcium. I think
Pomona pectin is the one with the calcium packet included right?

Some (maybe all) types of pectin depend on free calcium ions to gel properly.

Perhaps review the directions, maybe it is procedure sensitive? Or find
another source of calcium and add a little more at the right time?

I learned all about pectin in my college days. Finding myself wanting to get
a little more food value out of my oranges, I saved up a bunch of
orange-whites, the pithy stuff that nobody eats. I then blended them fine
with some bottled grape juice and let it sit in the frig. Wow, it jelled up
very nicely! Made a quite natural dessert product. Also tried the same
process of orange-whites with watermelon. Same reaction but waaay more funky
to eat!

Kenneth