nafex - [NAFEX] When are Asian Pears Ripe?

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] When are Asian Pears Ripe?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:06:00 -0500

My grafted two-fer Asian pear tree is loaded this year with Stark's Giants (Korean Giant) fruit.  The grafts have one Shinseki fruit.  All bagged and they look terrific.  How do you tell when Asian pears are ripe?  The tree produced one pear  last year, the second season in the ground, and I arbitrarily picked it when it looked yellow.  It was a bit over ripe, lacking some of the crunch, but still very good.
Doreen Howard
IL-WI Border
Zone 4b-5a