nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Harvest Apples?

  • From: "Michelle Horner" <shelly2@wi.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Harvest Apples?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 18:05:06 -0500

Tom, I'm too lazy to peel apples for sauce.  When I'm dealing with bushel quanties, I usually slab off the sides from the core; cook to consistency I like; and run apple and skins through the blender.  If the apples have a red skin, the sauce is a beautiful pink color.  If yellow skinned it is plainer looking.  I think the skin is where all the "good stuff" is anyway, and a lot of the fiber.  You'll never know the skins were in the blend when you are done!  I have not tried the newer "boat motor"--hand blender.  If that would work I wouldn't have to do the smaller blender batches.  I usually deal with SS pot like the turkey fryer--maybe 15 gallons??  Try a sauce pan of this method and see what you think??
Michelle Horner Z4/5  SE WIs

Hello,

What are some of the simpler recipes that can be made with harvest apples (yellow transparent)?

Peeling them for applesauce looks like a lot of work based on their size.  The flavor and texture is not right for pies either.

Making applesauce with the skin on is no fun either.  My strainer just plugged with skin and core continually.

What are some good recipes, no muss, no fuss to use with harvest apples?

Thanks,

Tom